Friday, July 2, 2010

Kitchen Witchery!

Or, No One Is Hiring Anywhere And I Have Got To Make Use Of These Leftovers To Save Money:


Today, I'm making soup stock. Yesterday Em and I got a delicious dinner at the Vietnamese restaurant down the street (called, of course, Vietnam Restaurant), and because I decided to branch out from my usual meat roll vermicelli and try their duck I was left with a lot of, well, duck bones. And gristle, and skin with tons and tons of delicious duck fat. Also, Em didn't finish her vegetables. So I'm making soup stock today, and it smells HEAVENLY.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it at the moment, though I do have some leftover sauce and thin slices of barbecued pork and a ton of rice, so I'm thinking some sort of....Risotto/pilaf/jambalaya/what-have-you.

ETA: This is freaking delicious. Here's a halfassed recipe so I can remember for next time.


Begin With:

About a cup of duck bones/skin/fat/gristle. The good stuff.
Some pickled carrots and cabbage that came with your meal (tasty!)
The onions and celery that came with your girlfriend's meal

Toss this nonsense in a pot, cover with water, and add:
Some more pieces of onion from the fridge that need to be used
2 smallish bay leaves
Salt
Pepper

Heat this up Real Good, stirring frequently, and then turn it down to simmer for 2 hours, or until I have to go to knit night
Strain into a goodly-sized bowl and let sit until I get back or girlfriend remembers to put it in the fridge.

THEN!
Get back from knit night (which was much fun! new people! yay!), put the strained stock back on the stove to simmer.
quickly reheat leftover rice/bbq pork/salvaged duck meat in a skillet with olive oil, and the luscious-looking white fat that was clinging to the meat when I got it out of its styrofoam container. this smells wonderful.
Add any leftover sauce that's hanging around in the takeout boxes, and let it cook down. The rice will absorb it.
If I had any white wine, this is when I would add it. But I don't. :(
Slowly stir in HOT stock and let it cook down. Repeat until the rice is nice and sticky.
Dump everything in one massive cereal bowl and feel like a huge glutton because this is totally enough for two people but your girlfriend is a vegetarian so no go.
Feel guilty about this, but soothe your spirit with tasty, tasty vietnamese jambalaya.
FIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment